Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:02 pm 

I'm spewen i could not claim the 29k FHOG and bonus plus regional bonus here in Victoria.

I rang the SRO and they explained that i could with this dwelling, although it was an existing building it had never been issued a 'certificate of occupancy' and was also going under 'substantial' renovations so within the FHOG application form would qualify for the full claim IF and here is the 'if'. If i had of signed contracts after Oct 14th 2008 when the new legislation came in.

At the time of my Council application i almost argued black and blue and did everything i could to not be an owner builder but the Council forced me to do it. They simply would give me no other option.

The situation i'm in now and the reason for the post because i'm looking to pick you brains to find an answer... I am considering buying a second property and starting on that and claiming the new grant. Council will inspect this property tomorrow and i am anticipating a cert of occupancy being issued.

They have been once to inspect last week or so ago and i have finished there last requirements such as fire extinguishers and water run off etc.

Do i only have the one option to claim the FHOG on this property because i have applied for a owner builder or could i purchase a second property and do this?

I know that as an investor you can buy unlimited amounts of properties and then claim the grant on your own home later whenever you want.

Council seem to think they can have control over peoples lives and make them do what they want but here i am missing out on 17 thousand dollars because some Council officer does not listen to and here the man on the ground.

Am i stuck in the system and have no other options? I have my eye on a old second hand weatherboard house where if i take advantage of the clause in the FHOG application to "substantially" renovate the building i could possibly claim the 29k and would be the true good help to get a proper home on the way.