Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the byohouse (Build Your Own House) Bulletin Board/Forum. This site is run by Murray Johnson, a Melbourne journalist, photographer and owner builder.
Please consider registering as an official member of our "virtual community" of owner builders and DIY enthusiasts. The benefits of this include being able to go back and edit or update your past posts. You'll also get a personalised version of the forum each time you log on – complete with color-coded notification of new postings since your last visit.
Thanks for your participation, and a big thanks to fellow owner builder and Web guru Chas Cleland - www.illowapark.com and www.auscity.com.au - who recommended this forum software and got it happening when my old bulletin board was being swamped with spam.
Thanks Chas
Welcome!
I'm Murray Johnson, a Melbourne journalist and photographer who started this web site several years ago as a "virtual community" where owner builders could share information and support. Since then Build Your Own House (www.byohouse.com.au) has had more than 60,000 hits.
I became aware of owner building in the 1970s when a bloke called Glenn Mack moved to Echuca where I was a cadet journalist, and built a mudbrick mansion on the site of the former Nine Mile Inn. I wrote about the project in The Riverine Herald and secretly pledged to do something similar one day. You can read about my project at www.byohouse.com.au/projects/muddie.htm
Our muddie is called Charleroi – after a place in Belgium where my grandfather enjoyed some respite from the trenches of the Somme with a Belgian family in WWI. I took my kids to France last year to Villers Brettoneux but that's another story.
When I started Charleroi the average house price in Melbourne was $190,00. Now it's $360,000. Owner building offers people a chance to put a roof over their heads without crippling debt, but it's much more than that. Owner building teaches you skills and makes you aware of new possibilities. When I started building I was a journalist on Rupert Murdoch's payroll. Now I'm self-employed and much happier. Owner building, combined with my love of literature, has led me to read great books like Michael Pollan's A Place of My Own and to discover writers like Henry Thoreau who wrote the famous "Pink Floyd" line about "most men living life in quiet desperation." He opted out and went to live On Walden Pond where he wrote a book of that name, and urged people to "Go Boldly in the Direction of your Dreams. Live the life you've Imagined."
I urge you to do the same... and owner building's a step in the right direction. Enjoy the site and I look forward to your contributions.
Cheers,
Murray Johnson
Build Your Own House
www.byohouse.com.au
DISCLAIMER: This message board is an open forum for the use of owner builders. byohouse.com.au does not have the resources to check the veracity of any comments or information posted here, nor the credentials of those posting, and does not vouch for either. Users should take comments (including mine) "for what they're worth" and do their own research to check and double check information or ideas contained here, before acting on them.
Murray Johnson
www.byohouse.com.au