Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Windows
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:24 pm 

Our house is going to be wrapped in an air-cell product and clad in colorbond.

My question is should the windows go in before or after the wrap and cladding. I'd love to hear pros and cons please.

Thanks
Toni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 pm 

Hi
I am just completing my 'shed' house so I have already been there...
Air cell is amazing! I wrapped the whole portal frame with Aircell before the cladding went on. There is NOTHING else to compare to this product! 4.5 stars in QLD for a 'tin shed'! We moved into the unfinished house before last summer and the insulation was superb
I'm really sorry I didnt install the windows before the cladding.
I got the shed suppliers to erect the shed for me - took them 3 days but adding window frames was completely out of their scope. If/when I do this again I would definitely put the windows in before cladding or insulation. Its so much easier to seal and flash the windows if you cut your cladding carefully around the windows. My job was further complicated by having to comply with an extreme bushfire rating meaning 'ember control" ie no gaps AT ALL in the outside shell of the building.
In addition it is so much easier to cut corrugated cladding on the ground loose rather than in a wall and screwed down tight. OH&S would have had a coronary if they had seen me do this job...
I also have some great ideas that worked for me with regard to flashing and vermin control when using corry.
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:08 am 

Thanks for the feeback on your experiences. I'll pass them on to DH at the moment he's doing a bit of this and a bit of that depending on what help there is available at the time.

I'd love some insight on vermin proofing etc as this is a particular bug bear of mine

Thanks
Toni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:15 am 

Vermin or ember control is not easy with corrugated colourbond and there are some tricks.
Lowood is not far from Natural Bridge. It would be so easy to show you what I mean rather than try and describe it here.
Let me know
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm 

Some flashing you can get for colorbond stuff that fits exactly. But they are rather expensive... Otherwise you can get black stuff you put on the inside of your colorbond and then normal flashing on top. Man... I can't think of the material at the moment.

Regards, Ari :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:15 pm 

Any of the ready made stuff I saw didnt actually work.
Corrugated colourbond can 'spread' when being installed, depending on how tight u screw it down (up to 50mm i believe). Ranbuild had a profile cut 'vermin seal' but if your sheet has any variation in screw pressure it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to get a vermin/ember seal. The only positive way is to rest your colourbond sheets on flashing(s) at the bottom of the wall and cut the top to fit.
I got my flashings bent up for me. Not expensive and they work brilliantly.
Cheers