Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:48 pm 

Hi,

I have a smallish deck to construct. I am in a bushfire prone area and need to comply with Level 2 construction requirements. My DA states I need to use timbers outlined in the RFS Development Control Note 001 for this deck, which includes:

Blackbutt,
Turpentine
Silver Top Ash
Spotted Gum
Jarrah
Red Ironbark
Balau
Tallowwood
Kwila (Merbau)
Red River Gum
Forest Red Gum
Yellow Stringybark

I don't have any experience with any of these timbers. Does anyone have any recommendations of a particular species here that is easy to work with, pleasing on the eye, economic, etc?

All advice is appreciated.

-Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:53 am 
Grant,

Most of these types of timbers are available from your local hardware store (even the supermarket type one) and at least have a board at the trade desk with samples of each. I built a deck out of spotted gum (there are quite a few different natural colours of this timber) as I liked the look of it, rather than use the Merbau that everyone seems to use these days.

If I were you though, I would seriously consider some alternatives. Mainly the fact that if you live in a bushfire classed area, I would consider not using exposed timber at all. Those timbers are recommended as they take longer to burn not that they can't burn, especially if your deck allows leaves and other stuff to accumulate under the deck that can get the deck started. Have you considered using steel posts/beams, and maybe something like hebel floor panel, that can then be tiled? May cost a touch more, about same time to construct, but will still give you an outside area and definately won't burn.

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply. My DA is quite specific about the construction materials to be used, and to be honest, I'd probably prefer at least the decking to be timber, which is more in keeping with the surrounding properties. I've checked with the Council, and they would be happy for me to use steel posts, so that's probably what I'll do.

Thanks again,

Grant