Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: house set out costs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 pm 

Has any one had any experience with getting their block surveyed, pegged and set out prior to building. Can you tell me what is involved and the approx cost. Do they also do the elevations and floor levels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm 

G'day Fanno
We have recently had some survey setout done on our block in Eltham and after ringing around the average price was around $500 for the building setout. This includes levels (TBM's). If you need a full site feature survey done first including title re-establishment then its around $2000.

Cheers

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm 

Thanks Theo, Do they actually peg it out and run string lines, the house I am about to start is on 6 acres, and dosent run parralel to the boundries. I though that it would be easier for a pro to set out the site and set the levels, rather the me spending hours with a tape and a dumpy only to start in the wrong spot. I was hoping to get it set out so I can call the bloke in to do the stump holes, then I can start the stumps and sub-floor and away I go. Most of the building I have done is extensions where you have something to go off, I used to do a few kit homes, and the stumping was always done before we got there. ( If anyone knows where Stan the stumpman is, please let me know).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 pm 

I did my set out and it was the hardest bit of the house so far, granted it was a very difficult set out with a whole bunch of pad footings with big post stirups set into the pads on a steep site..... It is more nerve racking than difficult. I did get a survyer to peg out the set back and the corners of the three pavilions which cost $500 (money well spent). Setting up the hurdles and lines then dropping down with a plumb bob is not so hard but you just gotta check and recheck a few times.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 am 
It all depends on how accurate you want or need to be.
For example, my place is subject to flooding, so they surveyor had to work from a known datum which is a couple of k's away down the street, and bring that level back to the block for the floor level as this is stipulated by the council. This gets expensive, but not that bad.
On 6 acres does it really matter if your house site is a metre out? I don't think anyone will know or check so don't think it matters too much and would be able to get close enough with a tape measure or two.
Likewise with the stump holes, doesn't really need to be that accurate, you can be at least +/- 100mm maybe more. A few string lines and tape measure would be ample. I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to try and get heights at the same time as the site will be dug up and potentially relocate pegs when you do the post holes (and if you hit rock your post holes can move) so the layout would have to be redone for your stumps, this is where you need to be accurate, but I'm sure the stump guy would be able to help you with that. I would just get the guy who is going to do the stumps to do it, then he is responsible for the location and won't be any arguments between surveyor and stump man if a stump ends up in the wrong position.

Post subject: Re: house set out costs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:11 pm 

Costs for setout depend on how much you want completed by the surveyor and the proximity of the house to the boundary. Proximity to the boundary is normally decided by whether it's a rural or urban block. If you are close to the boundary you probably need a title re-establishment survey. In determining whetehr you need a title survey, you can consider the following.

Is a title survey required for an urban block?
    The building has minimum setbacks to title or is constructed on title boundary, as shown on the building plans, these minimums need to be maintained as part of the conditions of the planning permit.

A title re-establsihment survey needs to be completed if you wish to absolutley guarantee that the relationship between the house and the boundary is correct.

The fence position is rarely in the same as title position, especially in older areas. A setout based on fences may be correct, but if it is wrong it can cost a lot of money to rectify.

Is a title survey required for a Rural Block?
    Setbacks to boundaries may be shown. They may be labelled "approximate"

A building surveyor may be happy with these setbacks being held to fences. They may also be happy with the siting of the building to be determined independent of the boundaries.

The house position could be detrmined without carrying out a survey. However (the same as an urban block) you won't know the extact relationship to the boundary if you don't get a title re-establsihment survey done.

A licensed Land Surveyor should be engaged to complete the title re-establishment. The profession's governing body (in Victoria) is http://www.acsv.com.auThey will be able to put you in touch with a surveyor in your area. Each surveyor will charge a different fee. You could expect that to be $1000 upwards for an urban re-establishment. Expect to pay from $2000 for a rural block, especially if it is large and/or you want all the boundries surveyed. Some surveyors charge less. In my experience, you get what you pay for :wink:

Only a licensed land surveyor can place boundary marks. If anyone else does it is both illegal and unwise.

Building Setout Costs
Costs vary from about $300 - $1000. It would have to be a very complicated house to reach the upper limit of fees.
Many surveyors won't complete a setout unless they have completed a re-establishment survey. We are guaranteeing the position of your house with regard to the boundary as well as making sure that the footprint is correct. The only way we can do that is by completing all the required work ourselves.

Also ask your surveyor to provide you with a plan of what they have setout. Even if it is some colored texta marks on a copy of your building plans. You will probably end up with 5-10 stringlines and having a guide is very useful. This should be provided as part of the service/fee.

There are ways that you can reduce costs. Ask for the saving once the surveyor has given their fee proposal:
    Offer to build the hurdles for the surveyor. These are horizontal bits of wood that surround the house site. The surveyor will mark nails on these to indicate where string lines should run to. We use 900mm star pickets, with 25mmx50mm treated pine (same as roofing battens) attached by nails or tek screws. If you keep them fairly horizontal and square to the house you can use them to measure yourself. You could forget the star pickets and simply use the treated pine (with a sawn point). 900mm long is generally a good length. this alloows the "post" to be driven into the ground and still leave enough height above natural surface for the concreter to build up their boxing.

Ask the surveyor to only setout a rectangle at the extremity of each side of the house. This positions the house for you and gives the extents. If you are confident, you can then measure in the other walls and have a check at the other end that you know is correct.

You will have a happy surveyor if you are able to provide the drawings in electronic CAD form (like AutoCAD)

I hope that helps people. I am a licensed land surveyor working in Victoria. I've completed many of these surveys in the last 10-15 years. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions. I have also started a general surveying thread where I hope to help OB's with any queries they may have.

Cheers, Adam.