Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:10 pm 

The slab has been down for about 10 months. Next weekend I start the first walls.... no real skills and low starting point with knowledge, but by the time I'm finished I should be an expert... :|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm 

Should have been headed Timberset. Pine planks slide in to aluminium channels dynabolted to the slab.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am 

No need to be an expert - just recognise at what point your experience and knowledge is being tested, stop to think and don't be afraid to walk away from the site to go and ask questions. There are no silly questions but there sure are a lot of dumb mistakes you can make by not asking them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:27 am 

princemyheart wrote:
by the time I'm finished I should be an expert... :|

or you'll realise that you still know nothing but your amazed by what you have done :lol: Enjoy the process it is a hell of a trip :)

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm 

How exciting for you. I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

It will be good to see another type of construction method.

Keep us updated,
Bluey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:32 pm 

So now it's April. I've been working most Summer days.... dawn til dusk.
The last few months though I've had to go out to work a few days a week. ... Damn

The walls went up just fine. It would have been easier if they had provided blow by blow directions, but with some guesswork it all went up. The walls that is...

Then trusses. Just as the kit home mob went on their Xmas break, I had to start on the roof. No real directions here. I just had to get stuck in and work out how to do it. I invented a few things here and there... lots of Googling.

When the plumber came to help me with he roof he explained a few things that were needed to be corrected and a month later, on went the roof with power roughed in first.

I'm now working on the eaves and then the doors and window go in.
If someone can explain how to upload pics... I'll do so. Cheers Royce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 pm 

Royce,
I would love to see some pic's.

To upload them here you will first need to download/import them into a website or web based album like http://www.photobucket.com or http://www.flickr.com or http://www.picasaweb.google.com where you can store images free of charge. Try reduce them to around 800x600 pixels before downloading them. I use Picasa to manage my photos and by just selecting the photo and then hitting the [SHARE] button I can then select 800 pixel size and it sends them straight to my web album (the first time I did this it automatically took me through the steps to set up the web album).

When you are typing your post and you want to put a picture in, click on the 'Img' box at the top of the text box. Open the web album/website in a second tab and select the photo you want from the album/website (make sure it is the actual pic not a thumbnail or small preview). Right click on the picture and select "Copy image location". Then go back to the BYOHouse tab and hit Ctrl and v (or right click between the two [IMG] symbols and select paste) to paste the location text (eg https ://aaa.googleusercontent.com/Pic001.JPG).

If you then hit the Preview box below the text box you should see a preview of what the post will look like with the pic.

I hope this makes sense. The process is much easier than I make it sound (unlike rammed earth :lol: )
Bluey

PS I also use Firefox so I hope these steps work the same in Internet Explorer etc if that is what you use.