Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:27 pm 

we have tackled a big project where to date my husband has done everything himself.

Its a castle looking large home with a double story tower on one side and a 3 storey tower on the other. in the middle is a double storey section too and wings off to the sides are single.
we have been living in the shed 2 years... our toddler is almost 3. we well he, has done all the brick work, roof, plumbing, stairs, everything. we are at the stage where we need to get an electrician, but are thinking of doing the plastering ourselves... is it better to get this done professionally? we have a lot of double bick walls, but there is a bit to do in plastering...
we would love to be in at christmas and finish off everything else later... but may be more like easter at this rate since he is a lone plodder a longer.

if anyone passes... its a very unique house... we dont know anyone here yet, but its funny hearing people talk about it at the local store!! I act dumb and say nothing.

any thoughts about plastering is appreciated

Post subject: plastering ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:10 pm 

Sounds like a great place youve built, recenly my son and myself plastered 3 rooms it wasnt that hard we did walls and ceilings, not perfect but pretty good the profestionals wanted $800.00 a room thats just to hang and set the plaster so maybe its worth having a go on a small room.We went to bunnings asked a few questions got some inexspensive plastic trowels and went for it.I think if we had taken a bit more time it would have been perfect ,what you got to loose at least hang the sheets yourself .best of luck in the future with the castle I would love to see some pics of it.