Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: bloody owner building
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:35 pm 
What a stressful time i have had. We have a builder shortage here and i reluctantly let a friend talk me into letting him draw up plans and start building my extension. We have just finished the slab and there seems to be nothing but problems. The slab was set to accommodate a wood floor 19mm=35mm batten, with the wet areas now raised 25mm. So what is actually happening is that the wet area will be in fact below the level of the wood 19mm floor board but still below the level or even with the 35mm batten. so if we have any water leaking it will leak into the floor via the batten. how do we now fix this problem. The slab is nice and smooth apart from the wet areas which are so rough it will take us heaps of glue to fill the gaps and holes before we put the tiles down. ANY SUGGESTIONS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:50 am 

paddy wrote:
The slab was set to accommodate a wood floor 19mm=35mm batten, with the wet areas now raised 25mm. So what is actually happening is that the wet area will be in fact below the level of the wood 19mm floor board but still below the level or even with the 35mm batten. so if we have any water leaking it will leak into the floor via the batten

Hi Paddy,

not entirely sure what the problem is, but I think you mean that the level of the wet area (once tiled) will be below the floorboards, but above or even with the battens which support the floorboards. Is this correct?

I don't think this is necessarily a problem. The important thing is that you have a decent fall away from the door, so that any water in the wet area drains away from the timber floor. If you are really worried you could perhaps fix an aluminium batten so that the top of the batten is level with the top of the boards and butt the tiles up to that. Does that make sense?

Bruce Fountain

Post subject: bloody owner builders
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:03 pm 

yes, makes sense Bruce.

Post subject: uneven floor problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:21 pm 

Ive had a similar problem with an old floor you can buy stuff to level the floor its a bit exy but worth it Its a self leveling cement mix you make a really wet slurry and pour it all over the floor ,it does work and would be cheaper then tile cement.we got ours at bunnings but should be able to get it at any tile shop best of luck.ps our tiles came out fine dont worry to much youl sort it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:41 am 

The product is called 'Ardit' and it's made by a company called Ardex. It is the best you can get (my opinion) and is the benchmark in the building industry. You have to follow the instructions exactly (not hard) and it works beautifully. It goes off quick, so pour it and leave it. If you 'play' with it too much it will start to set whilst you are fiddling about. It starts to set in about ten minutes

I found this link for you -

http://www.vibro.com.au/product_display ... 21&catid=2