Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Straw Bail House
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 am 

We are looking to build a straw bail house. I am finding it difficult getting info. Most of the info. comes from America. I would like some help and if anyone has plans or knows of any that we may be able to tap into the expertience of someone who has built one. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:25 am 

Strawbale forum here:

http://www.earthgarden.com.au/ausbale/forum/main.php

It is pretty active, although I haven't followed it for some time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:20 pm 
Dontwant to be rude but thought about doing a google search and defining to aus. theres more info when you start looking than youll ever use....... Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:03 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Dontwant to be rude but thought about doing a google search and defining to aus. theres more info when you start looking than youll ever use....... Tony

thank you Tony no you're not rude have tried it that is why I posted my dilema. There are millions of sights and if you click Aust. you still get O.S. companies. why I don't know but thank you very much for replying and I have been given some good advice. I appreciate people like yourself helping me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:46 pm 

Terri Bent wrote:
There are millions of sites and if you click Aust. you still get O.S. companies.

If you enter strawbale and tick the "Pages from Australia" checkbox you get this list:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... DcountryAU

Apart from the two sponsored links at the top of the page, they are all Australian links for at least three pages. Some of them are .com domains, but they are still Australian.

Post subject: straw bae dillema
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:04 pm 

look up these aussie references

huff and puff strawbale constructions. these guys have a great link site!!
newtonhouse
ausbale
strawtec
the green web

there are a lot if you spend the time

happy baling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:40 pm 

G'day, Dean here. I am planning a straw bale house in a year or two, but have been thinking about it for about eight years. I have read a fair bit about it and I have visited a couple strawbale homes. They are great homes, they have intangiable feel that I think all of us strawbalers are looking for. It is a pretty straight forward process, get good dry bales, put in a dry coarse and lay out your bales and render bingo you've got a house. The big deal is deciding if you wnat the stress of a loadbearing strawbale or if you can live with post and beam. I plan to be doing a post and beam construction. You have to make sure too that you get your orientation on your block right and that you have some good thermal mass inside the building to stabilize the house temp and humididy otherwise you could end up living in a great big esky. anyway good luck, keep reading and have a go at a few small projects first, I plan to build the kids cuby, and my shed out of straw bale before I start on the house, better to make any stuff ups on the cubby I reckon. Any way cheers for now and keep reading all the info just rember there is so much info out there the secret is using your brains and working out what is true, and what works for you. bye for now, Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:42 pm 

G'day, Dean here. I am planning a straw bale house in a year or two, but have been thinking about it for about eight years. I have read a fair bit about it and I have visited a couple strawbale homes. They are great homes, they have intangiable feel that I think all of us strawbalers are looking for. It is a pretty straight forward process, get good dry bales, put in a dry coarse and lay out your bales and render bingo you've got a house. The big deal is deciding if you wnat the stress of a loadbearing strawbale or if you can live with post and beam. I plan to be doing a post and beam construction. You have to make sure too that you get your orientation on your block right and that you have some good thermal mass inside the building to stabilize the house temp and humididy otherwise you could end up living in a great big esky. anyway good luck, keep reading and have a go at a few small projects first, I plan to build the kids cuby, and my shed out of straw bale before I start on the house, better to make any stuff ups on the cubby I reckon. Any way cheers for now and keep reading all the info just rember there is so much info out there the secret is using your brains and working out what is true, and what works for you. bye for now, Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm 

Cubby, great idea!
I realise this thread is very old, but thought I'd add to it :)
We've bought acreage in Sth Gippsland and intend to strawbale. We'll do shed dwelling for a while to decide on siting etc and some strawbale practice.
I'm very excited about it, and the plans for the acreage, and I'm green as anything!
We've got a nearly 4yo and a 5 month old baby, so we've got our work cut out for us.