Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:16 pm 

Does anyone have any experience in actually constructing their own steel frames and trusses from locally supplied materials?
Does anyone know of reliable sources for the actual materials in SE Qld ?

I am just about to move into a converted garage while I construct my new home in the bush and would be very grateful for any advice as to how I could construct the necessary frames, trusses, etc., in steel, rather than purchase prefabricated ones.
Quotes I have had for steel are approximately three times the costs quotes for frames, etc in cypress pine! The latter would be too heavy for me to move around by myself, but I am sure that lightweight home-built steel frames would be much closer in price to cypress than the current quotes I have had from the 'professionals'.
I have an engineer friend who would advise me as to the requisite regulations, etc., to comply with Australian Standards, but I would love any information and/or tips from anyone who has done this already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:30 am 

My dad is currently building a steel framed house in Manjimup, WA. He is building his own frames, doesn't need trusses (we are using Bondor panels for the roof, which don't require rafters).

The floor system is all in place. We had a go at the first frame a couple of weekends ago. Doesn't look too hard. We pinned the corners with tekscrews, then he will weld the joints. His welding is still pretty dodgy, but no doubt he will be an expert by the time he finishes! We used a corner of the deck to get the frame square.

Personally I would rather work with cypress. If I were building my own place I would use a steel subfloor (on steel stumps) and timber frames.

Post subject: Bondor panels
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:51 am 

Thanks Bruce! Do you have any source for information about the Bondor panels you mentioned? I have not heard of them before.

Post subject: Re: Bondor panels
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:45 am 

eaglesnest wrote:
Thanks Bruce! Do you have any source for information about the Bondor panels you mentioned? I have not heard of them before.

www.bondor.com.au

We are using the EquiDeck panels. 100mm of polystyrene, with flat colourbond steel on both faces. 1200mm cover with a ridge detail at the join. Spans up to 6m. Available only in light colours (white, grey) because it is sensitive to high temperature. Will melt in a bushfire. R2.5 insulation.

We haven't actually got that far yet, but it looks promising. Some people have reported problems with leaks at the joins between panels but I have designed the house with a generous pitch and no hips or valleys, which should eliminate most of the risk areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:54 am 

I am an ex-metal fabricator and would suggest that, if you are not an experienced welder, using bolts and 'bracing plates' (or gussets) would be better when building with steel. A couple of high tensile bolts are way stronger than a 'chicken shit' weld.

Always use a very sharp drill bit, at a very slow speed, when drilling steel and you will have no problems.