Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:37 pm 

Airbusdriver wrote:
The concrete blocks are a bear to work with. If we had it over again we would definitely use a concrete casting system like zeggo or similar. As it is you have to lay the brick then core fill with concrete - why not save the expense of the blocks and labor and just pour the concrete that would have gone into the core filling straight into some formwork!
We had to seal the block walls with some sort of paint on tar solution then cover with waterproof cardboard to stop the gravel removing the tar. There is also spaghetti pipe at the base of the wall for drainage.

I've heard about that setup before.. Something I'll definitely have to look into as our house will most likely be built into the hill when we build (one day).

Keep us updated with the project.. Any ETA's on completion?

Post subject: how did the ritek go?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:16 pm 

great project, would love to see the finished photo's. it're remarkably similar to the design of mine, though i think yours is a little more plush! i'm also looking seriously at the ritek, more from ease of finishing than anything else - would love to hear your opinion of it after having used it and dealt with the company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 pm 

Airbus Driver,

Nice job, looks great.

Not to burst your bubble but we work with around 1500 owner builders per year and their projects range from $12,000 to in excess of $3.0 million dollars build cost.

If I had to put an average on the build cost, it would be around $450,000 with most owner built homes being in the region of 300 to 500 square meters.

I really only put this out there to let everyone else considering building their own home know that this is not unusual or out of the norm, we see thousands of ordinary people do extraordinary things in owner building.

Your build cost at around $1100.00 a square meter sounds about on the money(for the type of construction), it will be interesting to see if you can maintain that through to completion, with a good project manager you should.

I would also like to elaborate on the use of project managers by owner builders. Very common and in some cases an absolute necessity, but be wary and choose carefully.

Do not be conned by licensed builders who ask you to take out an owner builder permit so they can shirk their insurance responsibilities, we see quite a lot of that.

Visit our owner builder website at www.ownerbuildercourses.com
Rick