Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Here we go!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:52 am 

Hi Guys
We are about to embark on a fairly ambitous Owner Build project down here in Queanbeyan near Canberra. The plan is to build a two storey 1200 sq metre house. We are using besser Block for the bottom level and NRG Green Cladding for the top storey. The block of dirt is 1500 sq metres and we have to do a 3 metre cut. It all seems a bit daunting but we have inlisted the services of Barry Armstrong from U-Build Homes who is a owner builder project co-ordinator. He has priced the job down to the last bag of nails and in his package we get to lockup stage with him supplying the majority such as frames,trusses.bricks,roofing etc. We are feeling really confident that with Barry's experiance and knowledge and the fact we can ring him anytime during the build, it should all go together well. Wish us luck.

Cheers
Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 pm 

sounds great gl hope it comes out as you hope sure it will.post some pics when u can and keep updating.

Post subject: Site cut
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 pm 

1st stage near done. 2500 cubic metres removed.

Cheers
Brett[/img]

Last edited by Brett on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:35 am 

Did you say 1200sqm house? or is that a typo? 1200sqm is more than a quarter acre.........maybe 120sqm?
Good luck to you
cheers
Reiner

Post subject: Pics won't work
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:23 pm 

Don't know why the pics won't come up.
Rhino, 600 sq metres downstairs, 600 up. Nothing flash just big room dimensions. We like our space. Contractors look at the plan and adjust their prices to suit the dimensions as well.
Cheers
Brett

Post subject: Re: Pics won't work
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:32 pm 

Brett wrote:
Don't know why the pics won't come up.
Rhino, 600 sq metres downstairs, 600 up. Nothing flash just big room dimensions. We like our space. Contractors look at the plan and adjust their prices to suit the dimensions as well.
Cheers
Brett

brett try downsizing the pic sizes and reload them again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:22 pm 

Brett, the house must be 20m wide and 30m long??

Reiner

Post subject: Re: Pics won't work
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:28 pm 

Brett wrote:
600 sq metres downstairs, 600 up. Nothing flash just big room dimensions. We like our space. Contractors look at the plan and adjust their prices to suit the dimensions as well.

To some extent you get economies of scale with a large house, but if your rooms are really big then you have big spans, and that gets expensive especially in a two storey house.

I am trying not to be judgemental, but 600sqm is bigger than most suburban blocks. Your house will be five times bigger than mine, and if I were to build again I would build smaller. It just seems terribly wasteful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:16 pm 

hey brett glad u got the pics up i too would love to build a big house and will one day we will. i think the house were building now is the size of your bedroom lol. i for one cant wait to see the end results i think its going to be amazing i wouldnt want to clean it though but i guess u can afford a cleaner. good luck hun looking forward to it.
just a bit of advice go back and downsize the pics so we dont have to scroll across the page.cheers shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:44 am 

I'm with Bruce on that one. I would hate to keep a house that size clean. We are going to build a Timber house in Tamborine Mountains and the plans are living on 100sqm. We lived in 70sqm for a while and loved it. Very cosy and evertyhing is within reach.
Reiner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:45 am 

Hi Brett,

Good luck with it all - it sounds awesome.

I'm a bit concerned with the comments you've received re the size of your house - I mean it's pretty obvious that this is what you want and you've enlisted solid advice and help - so why not! I mean we don't know if you have a large family that would fill this house quite easily but whatever the reasons we shouldn't call a big house a negative. I mean some people buy big blocks to fill with time consuming gardens and vegie patches, farm animals and nature conservation that alot of other people could not be bothered with in regards to the maintenance so why can't someone have a massive house to live in and maintain.

I know with our intentions of building a shed house it's not everyones cup of tea or ground breaking architecture like other peoples projects but it's what we want and having a site where we can share and get encouragement no matter what our project is the point I think and I'm sure the whole community here all wish you well and can't wait for updates on your project. Go for it Brett!

Cheers, :D Smiley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:02 pm 

Thanks Smiley,
I thought the forum was called Tell us about your project not be judgemental on someone who is trying to save some money, big house or not it is still an Owner Build. I would love to be building a nice homestead in the bush but with kids and a Home Based Business with quite alot of staff, we need more room. There is a room underneath to have water tanks and we are having photovoltaic power to run some of it. As for cleaning, I would rather vacuum than mow and weed gardens we aren't allowed to water here anyway.
Cheers
Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 pm 

Brett wrote:
I thought the forum was called Tell us about your project not be judgemental on someone who is trying to save some money, big house or not it is still an Owner Build.

Brett, I am sorry. Maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut. I am coming from an interest in sustainable architecture and reducing our environmental footprint. My concern is more with the embodied energy of the building than with the cost of keeping it clean. I think the project is interesting, but I spend so much time thinking about how to conserve resources that a 1200sqm house just seems a bit alien.

This is a great forum and we walk a fine line between being supportive and telling it as we see it. I realise that other people will have different values from mine and I really do celebrate the diversity of our approaches to putting a roof over our heads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:54 am 

:D

Last edited by SmileyH on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:58 am 

:D

Last edited by SmileyH on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.