Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:05 am 

While currently renting, we hope to be starting the purchase of our block in the next month or so. This will be followed by moving into caravan on block, and instantly submitting plans for approval to start foundations before June 30 - to make sure we are elligible for the full FHOG (Construction +$21k Federally and $3k NSW, and Duty exemptions).
We have no money behind us, but if we can't make a start with that sort of a handout, then I'm moving west with a single sheet of tin and a billy can!

I will be leaving my job to find local work (Anyone round Inverell hiring at the moment?) and probably get a little thinner while we wait for our new gardens to feed us!!! My seven year old has lived in an old Kombi with us north of Gympie when she was about 3, so she can tell her little brother all about how spacious a caravan is!

While it will be tough and economically poor - we are realists, when it comes to our expectations, practical when it comes to our needs and resourceful when it comes to problem solving.
I have a hopeful plan, after reading through the NSW FHOG ACT 2000 - it seems an owner builder may apply to be paid the grant in advance, once approved plans are before council and foundations have begun (Before June 30 2009). If approved the grant is paid in advance, but OB's only have 12mths to finish to occupancy, from that date, instead of the usual 18mths, if being 'Rebated" at the end of your project.

It is up to the whim of the CHIEF COMMISSIONER to decide such an application, but if it works, I will only need to have my money ready to pay for deposit on kit shed, to get plans for council lodgement - associated lodgement fees and enough to begin foundations (turning of the sod, as far as I'm concerned!) before I am elligible for "pre-payment" of grant, giving me the rest of the cost of the shed/slab and purchase of necessary items - greywater/solar/toilet.

If it fails, then at least my plans are in and approved, works have begun and elligibility of grant is registered for when I do finish. Always the slim possibility of borrowing from family, short term in lieu of the grant upon completion.
If all else fails, BEWARE the councilmen that try to stop my family camping on our land!!

Love this forum, great community, wonderful tips and help, keep it up, all - Thanks Murray!!!

SlimKrusty :twisted:

Post subject: Step One
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 pm 

Well, we have our deposit, and a vendor willing to do finance on a block, that if it stacks up, is just what we want - Large - Good Grazing - Good water - Useable and scenic bush - Building Entitlement - Employment Opps nearby - Realistic Price - Agreeable Council. :)

Am waiting on a phone call back, hope the vendor is still open to the idea and that we can go inspect/camp this weekend, if possible!
Any advice I should consider before that almighty shake and signature?
(Title searches, etc)

It would be great to start our dream, finally, and get that block of land 8)

Tues 24th Feb

We can go and inspect and meet w/ owners at block next weekend, they are more than happy for us to camp the weekend there. Can't wait!

Last edited by slimkrusty on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 pm 

Sounds good, hope all goes well

Post subject: Cheers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 am 

Cheers jammin,

Hope all is also well with your own project,perhaps we will see you on the New England!!, our (hopeful) block is a little north west of Armidale, near Copeton Dam. Not as high up, and a little hotter in summer, they say!! (perhaps that actually means colder in winter! :shock: )

Slim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:43 am 

Its all good up there so you should be right. Have not been to Copeton Dam but meant to be great, its bigger than Sydney Harbour!

Post subject: Copeton Dam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 pm 

Three times as much water as sydney harbour (when dam is full) they tell me. I myself can't wait to fish for the redfin and cod it is famous for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:55 pm 

So it's after signing date, how did everything go? :)