Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:10 pm 

Hi guys

Hope someone can help with experience or some advice.

We had a treatment system installed recently on our rural block. We had asked a while beforehand if there was any groundworks that could be done whilst we had equipment out there but was told by the company that they would deal with it and check with us where we wanted the system. Unfortunately this never happened and the system was installed a day later than anticipated and no phone call or consultation was had with us. But our builder was meant to be on site the day it was originally scheduled for installation. When it was apparent it wouldn't be on that day the builder spoke to the installer to explain the site etc. Our builder asked for a trench to be put in (between the house and the system). However we were never notified of this until after the work had been completed and an invoice was sent to us (for $687.50).

The system has cost us over $10,000 which we paid as we had the system installed. However I am not wanting to pay for the extra $687.50 when we didn't get consulted or even get say on not to do it. Checking on some government sites it doesn't seem like we have to pay for it (unsolicited services). However the suppliers are now saying that we have no warranty on the system and the goods remain the property of the company until the account is paid in full.

Has anyone else dealt with this type of situation before? I'm tempted to just ask them to take their system (out) and get another one. A real shame cos I was really keen on the system and think it will still do a good job but really jacked off with the company and their lack of communication.

Any advice appreciated. (Yes I know it's 'only' $687.50, but I feel it's the principle).

TIA,
Yvonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 am 

ahhh the "PRINCIPLE" not a price many of us can afford.
it looks like the company are standing firm and wont budge.
so your choice is delay the build and cost you heaps or pay
the bill and chalk it up to experience.
either way you cant win
but you know your right no matter what and thats the real
"principle" good luck with your decision
oh and remember word of mouth hurts most buisnesses so...
start spreading the word

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 am 

Reading what you wrote, if your builder asked the work be done then your beef here is with your builder. The company installing the system would have in good faith believed the builder was acting on your behalf.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am 

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm hesitant to say who the supplier was at this stage as I am still a bit hopeful we can resolve this professionally. If we can't resolve this in the next week or so I think I'll be on this forum telling everyone who not to use if you want some decent level of service and communication :)

The builder did ask them, but they really should have checked with us. It is a lesson learned. The issue I have with them is that they have become all defensive even when I have just asked to try and resolve this in a reasonable manner (ie I would have paid something towards it but wanted some concession from the supplier). I don't want a Win/Lose situation.. but certainly this Lose/Lose situation is much worse!