Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Arbe's Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:25 pm 

He All,

Name is Ray. I currently work in IT, but was originally a country boy and will be returning to my origins in about 12 months time.

Purchased a block late last year - settled early this year. It is located 7km South West of Dowerin - which is about 160kms from Perth.

Some pics of my block.
Attachment:
File comment: Over head shot
Dowerin.jpg
Dowerin.jpg [ 44.39 KiB | Viewed 4186 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Over head shot (zoomed in)
Dowerin 2.jpg
Dowerin 2.jpg [ 46.43 KiB | Viewed 4186 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The south east corner looking west with a Barley crop growing.
Dowerin 3.jpg
Dowerin 3.jpg [ 58.57 KiB | Viewed 4186 times ]

Post subject: Re: Arbe's Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:42 pm 

Another pic.
Attachment:
File comment: The south east corner looking north.
Dowerin 4.jpg
Dowerin 4.jpg [ 68.5 KiB | Viewed 4185 times ]

The block is a little over 61 hectares (around 150 acres). I am told it is mainly clay but I need to get a site survey and soil test done so I know what my options for building are but I believe we will need to excavate out and refill an area with sand to be able to put a concrete slab down.

My partner and I are hopefully attending a 2 day Training Course on building Rammed Earth homes in March (I have paid my deposit, but have not heard that it has been received). Also the dates are TBA at the moment. For those of you interested in the course who live in WA visit http://www.reaaustralia.com.au. If you have done the course I would be interested in what you think also.

I would love to build a Rammed Earth home, my partner needs a little more convincing. She loves the look of the walls, she is just not convinced that we can do it ourselves. I on the other hand cant wait to get started.

As the block is located 1km from a bitumen road where mains power and water are located we will be self sufficient as I think it is going to be rather expensive to run power to our block - it is a requirement to have a rain water tank of at least 120,000 litres (from memory) installed before building. We will also be installing a largish off-grid PV solar system, with wind and generator backup (I say largish as I already have a 1Kw system installed on my current house and our bills are almost $0 so I think we will get away with a 3Kw system which in todays standards is average after seeing what some people are installing on their roofs).

I still have much to learn about owner building, but hopefully this site will help me out.

Edit: URL for Rammed Earth was incorrect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:06 pm 

hey ray welcome i love rammed earth after seeing blueys project
good luck with your build
love the land

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm 

Thanks Bingoshelly,

I received an email from Rammed Earth Alternatives (reaaustralia.com.au) during the break - the March course is to be held on the weekend of the 26th and 27th - can't wait.

I have been playing with Google Sketch up in the mean time trying to design a house we could build. Need to find a draft person/engineer to see if what I have designed can be built - or what modifications needs to be made to my design so it meets all the requirements etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:16 pm 

Hi Ray, small world, have not been here for a year or so (edit just checked and it's been three years - how time flys :o ) so thought I would drop in for a sticky. Here is the link to our build on here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=380

Good luck with it all, if you want to talk grab me through BYAP as I am not a regular here anymore seeing the owner building experience is not at the forefront of our lives anymore.