Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Stone block construction
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 pm 

Gday all! While there's plenty of info for new builders there seems to very little regarding regular ashlar stone block construction, presumably as it's not commonly used or especially cheap or quick work.

Having found this forum I've been avidly reading winkieg's blog, and there's also Peter Kincaid's book on traditional and modern stone construction but I was wondering if anybody knows of any other good sources that provide insight into historical methods and designs?

By way of background I have some land near Daylesford in Victoria with an old miners cottage but plan in the coming years on building a sandstone house in two storey colonial Georgian style from local castlemaine sandstone. The plan is for a double skin construction to passivehouse standards, cellar for services, wood, wine, vanquished enemies etc. Living in Sydney the last few years I've fallen for the range of rough and finely dressed convict sandstone and the simplicity of the Georgian design inside and out.

Any info or pointers most welcome as I seem to have gone searched the web and the state libraries to surprising little success.
Cheers