Build Your Own House

The ultimate website for owner builders & DIYers
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Stud lining to garage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:14 am 

Simple question: I am converting the rear of an existing double garage, into an additional reception room. I want to build a stud wall to separate the front of the garage from the back - no problem. I want to put in a suspended timber floor, above the existing dry concrete floor - No problem. HOWEVER, I am not sure how to line the two external single brick walls - I want to line them out with studwork or battens, then plasterboard them - but there are brick piers jutting into the space, by 120mm - so do I simply build a stud wall in a straight line across the front of the studs, if so what's the gap I leave from the face of the pier brickwork, to the back of the stud. Alternatively, if I batten out the walls, so that I follow the contour of the piers and the existing walls, what do I do about damp penetration etc? Any thoughts welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:19 pm 

if uve got a pic of this problem then perhaps we can see the issue but going off of my experience as a home renovator perhaps you should just stucco the external walls straight over the brick?